Sulfasalizine

My doctor has me on a drug called Sulfasalizine. He diagnosed me with secondary Sjogren’s about 6 months ago. I don’t know what the primary autoimmune disorder is and I’ve been taking the prescribed medication for about four weeks. I feel horrible. I’m in so much pain that I lay on the couch all day long and sleep off and on. And exhaustion has overtaken my world. Could somebody else suggest a different medication that maybe I could bring to my rheumatologist attention? Since taking sulfasalizine, my asthma has gotten so much worse and my stomach pain is uncontrollable. I just feel lost and like I’m in a world where I don’t know what’s going on. I should mention that my doctor had me on Minocycline for about 4 weeks and I didn’t notice any difference I’m not as when he switched me to the different medication.

Okay. So clearly we can’t tell you what medication to take. But, definitely contact your doctor.

That said, another medication that is often used is plaquenil. It can often be helpful with the fatigue as well. It can’t hurt to ask your doctor about it.

Also, keep in mind that some of the DMARDs can take time to work. So you may want to ask about this with any medication. Ask about the timeline that a medication should be taken for before being able to determine if the medication is working or not. For some meds it can be up to 6 months. Knowing what to expect can be really helpful.

Thank you so much for the response.