Granuloma Annulare (GA)

Hi everyone. I got my biopsy back from the dermatologist yesterday. I have Granuloma Annulare. It an uncommon disorder of the skin or subcutaneous tissue manifest by asymptomatic ringed lesions which appear over the extremities and or bony prominence. Its chronic and benign with an unpredictable course. The etiology of GA is unknown although it is speculated that the disorder is due to a delayed type sensitivity to an unspecified antigen. It is Chronic inflammation of the skin and is connected to my autoimmune. (sjogrens) Anyone have this? No cure says the DR of Course!!! Is there anyone that has done any natural home remedies that helped? Thank you for your responds. Beeb

I have this as well, and was diagnosed with granuloma annulare. However, despite chronic dryness; had plugs put into my eyes, and mouth dryness as well as my skin as well, lesions on my brain and other symptoms, I've never been diagnosed with sjogren's syndrome. Right now, excuse me but I'm not thinking clearly. Best! Susan

Hi Beebs! I have never heard of this so I did a bit of research on it. You mentioned that it’s connected to Sjögren’s. Is it connected to Sjögren’s specifically or to autoimmune disease in general? My impression was autoimmune disease in general.

I find it utterly fascinating what can be associated with autoimmune disease. It is fairly common for people to rack up multiple conditions. The good news is that it appears as though this particular one is benign and self limiting, correct?

Hi Stoney,

From what I read it is connected to autoimmune disease in general. Yes I am finding out about the multiple conditions. I had never heard of it and I went for 2 biopsy on two different areas. Steroids don't work on it. I had it for about 6 months nothing worked then one day I didn't itch anymore. Next day rash was going away. The Dr said some people have it for weeks, some months, some life there is no rhyme for reason. When the dr gave me the news she said " Good news its not serious. Bad news is we can't cure it, we don't really know enough about it. We do know its an Autoimmune in its self but its pretty low on the tot-tum pole as far as autoimmune go" It comes on the lower extremities mine rash was just on the both legs and one right arm between the wrist and elbow. Strange if you ask me but, at least I can live with it. I have so much going on that I was relieved when she told me.

Hi to Beeb and Stony! I was diagnosed after a dermatologist did a biopsy, but yes, injections of steroids helped mine. I only had her to put in in my right lower arm because that was the only place it was really bad. I'll add pictures of this as well. My right and left arms and hands are now affected as well as neck area. But yes, injections of steroids helped. After I was given the injections, however, I was told my skin would be thin and to take care of my skin. In December I had a skin tear just but hitting it on something that didn't even cause a bruise, so yes, the steroids may help, but makes your skin very thin and can be torn.

I again feel I have brain fog this morning, in that I can't explain myself too clearly. This is very disturbing to me, because I feel I am a very good writer and can explain things thoroughly. If not for spell check this morning, I wonder if this could even be read!

In the past month I feel I have aged dramatically. Has anyone else noticed this?

I so hate that you have this Beeb, but thankful in a way that someone knows what I have other than the dermatologist. I have never met anyone other than myself who has had this. I've been asked several times if I had AIDS! Can you imagine how cruel people can be! So, I just go ahead and tell people that I'm not contagious when these places show and someone is looking. However, in the summer I don't try to cover these up. I'm hot and feel that if people are so crazy and uncaring, they can just stare and stay away from me. I tell people at the dr.'s office that this isn't catching, like if I'm getting my blood pressure checked or if I'm having a blood test. These places do not go past my upper elbow area.

I want to research zinc oxide because it is in sun screen. I feel that being in the sun can somehow cause this. Also used to think my dog was giving it to me. Whew! This is one crazy thing to happen.

I hope this post isn't too crazy. So glad to have found you guys! Susan

Google search for zinc and granuloma annular

Hey all who were talking about GA. I don't have time to research this today, but wanted to show what a google search had to say about using zinc for this. I think we need Vitamin D for this as well because I know I've been low before and don't take it. I'll start today with the vitamin D again and add zinc. For what I think about this, I would really advise someone to use the highest sunscreen that you can get when going out in the sun. This last acted up when I was out in the sun in October! It was sunny, but I didn't think of using sunscreen then.

I'm using a cream now that a friend gave me and it seems to be helping. She is part Cherokee and people who are of Native American decent have lots of immune disorder problems. Again, I have no references for this; just heard it but can't back this up right now. From now on unless I can back something up with references I won't add anything here unless I can say it is hearsay or I need more references. I will share more if this cream works better.

Blessings to everyone on this group today!

Susan

Hi Susan,

I didnt get the injections. I was on high oral dosages of steroids but when I got pass the 3 day and stepped down on the steroids it came back with a vengeance. I can't take steroid injections because I have a heart condition too so I am limited in things I can take.I have had a Vitamin D deficiency for about 9 years now. I used to take prescription Vitamin D but have been able to bring it up on my own for about a year now. I take Vitamin D Supplement a lot lower than the script. I will look into the Zinc though for sure. I use Vitamin E oil for my skin and I think it helps too.

Yes Susan, I do feel like I have aged in the last year x 10. I am going to be 48 years old and I feel like I look 58. My hair is long and its thinned so bad, its dry and turning gray. I too get the brain fog a lot. Like I can't pronounce words that I say every day. My family now says I have my own vocabulary. I will be just happy when I get my results from the brain MRI so at least I know its something.

I had never heard of American Indian descent having Immune issues but it does give me something else to research. I have Cherokee and Seminole blood lines mixed with Europe (Germany & Dutch). I don't go out in the sun myself anymore. I know for a fact that the sun does in fact make my GA worse. I got in my pool last summer and I stood under the umbrella I put my right arm out into the sun and my Husband and I watched the bumps appear in a matter of 3 mins. I just stay covered now if I go out in sunlight. Long sleeves, Hat, glasses, pants, gloves. If I have to go out I use sunscreen.

The only drug thus far that has helped me with my symptoms is the palquinal. I pray everyday that I can continue to take it cause in 2 years of taking it I came off Once and I felt so sick for months. Now I am just fighting my right side muscle issues, and pain, memory loss. Take care Susan, and Blessings to you as well.

susie said:

Hi to Beeb and Stony! I was diagnosed after a dermatologist did a biopsy, but yes, injections of steroids helped mine. I only had her to put in in my right lower arm because that was the only place it was really bad. I'll add pictures of this as well. My right and left arms and hands are now affected as well as neck area. But yes, injections of steroids helped. After I was given the injections, however, I was told my skin would be thin and to take care of my skin. In December I had a skin tear just but hitting it on something that didn't even cause a bruise, so yes, the steroids may help, but makes your skin very thin and can be torn.

I again feel I have brain fog this morning, in that I can't explain myself too clearly. This is very disturbing to me, because I feel I am a very good writer and can explain things thoroughly. If not for spell check this morning, I wonder if this could even be read!

In the past month I feel I have aged dramatically. Has anyone else noticed this?

I so hate that you have this Beeb, but thankful in a way that someone knows what I have other than the dermatologist. I have never met anyone other than myself who has had this. I've been asked several times if I had AIDS! Can you imagine how cruel people can be! So, I just go ahead and tell people that I'm not contagious when these places show and someone is looking. However, in the summer I don't try to cover these up. I'm hot and feel that if people are so crazy and uncaring, they can just stare and stay away from me. I tell people at the dr.'s office that this isn't catching, like if I'm getting my blood pressure checked or if I'm having a blood test. These places do not go past my upper elbow area.

I want to research zinc oxide because it is in sun screen. I feel that being in the sun can somehow cause this. Also used to think my dog was giving it to me. Whew! This is one crazy thing to happen.

I hope this post isn't too crazy. So glad to have found you guys! Susan

Okay I don't want to unnecessarily raise any "fear" or unnecessary concern BUT with a GA punch biopsy,, the results typically will show focal degeneration of collagen with reactive inflammation and fibrosis. The problem is there is an other Condition called sarcoidosis or less commonly sarcoid arthritis that also presents the same way. THIS condition is very much associated with Sjogrens and especially some of the gut problems that we see. IT CAN be treated. and SHOULD be treated. Nothing against dermatologists but I would take it up with my rheumy. The possibility of Crohn and even Lupus is just too great, not to mention sarcoid alone can be a bugger..... Follow up until you are confident its "just GA"

Hi,

I have had black and blue circles on my arms only mostly the left for 2 years… Dermatologists never figured it out even with bx. I learned recently that it’s fro long term steriod use. I have been on low dose medrol for6 years. I also found that Celebrex contributes to this…I’m slowly getting off medrol and one take my medrol in the morning and Celebrex at night and it’s finally going away.
That’s my story.