Quantcast

Flare up recently

I was diagnosed 4 years ago and haven’t had severe symptoms however recently I’m having the worst flare I’ve ever had. I’m a 60 year old female and had planned to work several more years. The rashes have been bad as well as fatigue. I’ve been on steroids which temporarily calms the rashes but they are coming back. I started a no gluten sugar and dairy diet a week ago. I’ve lost a lot of hair because of the intense itching. I’ve had to stop coloring my hair because it’s too painful to have peroxide on my head. I’m having problems dealing with work stress. I don’t know if there’s anything else I can do.

Steroids are wonderful when they’re needed but aren’t a great long term solution. Are you seeing a rheumatologist? There are other options available for disease control, that can be used long term.

Yes I’m seeing a rheumatologist. What are some other long term solutions?

There are medications. Plaquenil is often used, as are other disease modifying meds. Some people will ultimately be put on biologics.

Yes I’ve been on plaquenil.

I have an appointment with my dermatologist tomorrow. I’m going to take Benadryl to see if it helps. I am miserable.

The Benadryl does not help. It just makes me sleepy.