Dry eye contacts

Saw in a magazine a contact called “Proclear” was designed and FDA approved for dry eyes. Anyone try it???

I only wear contacts once a week, maximum.

Can’t edit…so embarrassed. I googled it and saw the contact box and this is what I’m using! And they do work ok. I blew it yesterday though as we are with extended family and I had something special in the morning and at dinner time and wore them all day. I rarely, if ever, do this. And today, my eyes are bothering me. I broke the rules. I normally just wear the contacts for one singular special event per week, which would be a max, of four hours. But for those who are wondering, this system can work…the Proclear contacts no more than once a week. And of course this way they are available to you for holidays, weddings, etc.

Sounds very interesting. Are these the contacts that are designed to hold moisture in?

Yes, they do seem to hold moisture in.
My vision is kinda bad and it’s neat to see what I look like without glasses even if it is just for a short while. And I really like it for special days.

Nomad I am curious if you have eye plugs for your dry eye. I am considering getting the punctual plugs and it would be great if they allowed me to wear contacts occasionally. I have a high prescription and I used to wear contacts until my eyes flared.

No, I don’t have the plugs, but my opthamalogist has suggested that in due time I will very likely need to think about getting them.
Would love to hear from others on the subject!!!:slight_smile:

I just got CibaVision Dailies 1 to wear for special occasions only -- mainly when I am singing on stage with my chorus and when snorkeling. I have worn them for four to five hours at a time twice so far and they seem to do okay, but I can tell I need to take them out. I haven't worn contacts in about ten years (since a horrid corneal abrasion) except for the rare snorkeling trip and an attempt at scleral lenses (see below) so I was quite surprised that I could tolerate them.

Lala, Punctal plugs should not interfere with your ability to wear contacts. I would think, if anything, plugs would make it easier as they would help keep more moisture on the surface of your eyes. The plugs fit into the puncta and are pretty much invisible and don't go anywhere near where the contacts are.

Enjoylife, The lenses that are designed to hold liquid are called scleral lenses. They are like little saucers that you fill with saline solution and then put onto your eyes, trapping the solution so that it bathes the surface of the eye all day. They are fairly expensive but I think they can be a huge relief to persons with severe dry eyes. I got a pair earlier this year but have not been able to wear them on a consistent basis as they are just too difficult to insert. My eyes have been much better since I started using prednisone eye drops, so I haven't had the kind of pain that led me to get the scleral contacts in the first place. You might look up PROSE lens in Boston or other brands of scleral or mini scleral lenses to learn more about them. If you have painful dry eyes, they can actually be a relief. I thought they were only available at one of the PROSE centers but I have since learned that there are several brands, so if you're interested in scleral lens, talk to your ophthalmologist to see if there are any local options.

I wear Sclera contacts for my dry eye. They are rigid and large enough to fit over the white part of the eye. They have a bump in the middle which holds sterile saline solution which means my eyes are constantly bathed in saline solution all day. I can now read and my vision no longer gets blurry towards the end of the afternoon. I love them. They are expensive, but they were worth it.

You can read more about them here: http://www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/scleral-lenses.htm

Wow....thank you Tearless and Panic. I had no idea that's how they worked. I use more and more drops during the day to stay comfortable but I am a little intimidated by the idea of dealing with contacts.They sound huge. LOL....are they uncomfortable? I get the blurry vision by the end of the day but its the dry burn throughout that gets to me.

Are you kidding me? Uncomfortable? I wear them for comfort. My eyes actually hurt me if I don’t wear them and they feel so good when I get them in. I wear them for approximately 10-12 hours per day. Not all eye doctors are knowledgeable about the sclera contact option so you’ll have to shop around. Currently, there are only 400 doctors in the world who fit sclera lenses. They are expensive, but they have been life changing for me. I did have cornea damage from dry eye so my eyes were beyond just uncomfortable.

Panic,

Maybe I missed it in your link, but is there a link where you can find a doctor for those lenses throughout the country?

Are they very difficult to put on?

Any temporary side effects like a headache, etc?

It’s nice to know there is a good option as things worsen…

Which reminds me…I wonder if they would prevent damage??

Just looked at the site. They look great but you're right. Quite expensive and they mention a lot of insurance companies won't pay for it initially. Still, a little leg work is worth it for relief from that constant burn. I imagine the price will come down over time also if it becomes more common.

Insurance does not pay for my contact lenses. It is a quality of life issue for me. Fork over the money or don't read or see in the evenings.

Nomad,

The scleral lenses that I have are very, very difficult for me to get in. Mine are made by Blanchard (I think) and are supposedly much smaller than the Boston Prose lenses. But they're still pretty big. The hardest part about inserting them is ensuring that you keep them absolutely parallel to the ground so that there are no air bubbles trapped in the lenses. Sometimes I could insert them on the first try, but generally I found that it took me between 15-30 minutes and a lot of trying to insert them properly, so I just gave up when my eyes started to feel a little better. I need to try again because they do feel great when they're on. It's like instant pain relief!

My insurance company said they would pay for the lenses only if they were required after cornea surgery. My eyes hurt so much I decided to get them anyway. It was nice to be able to get them here in Kansas City!

God luck!

Many thanks Tearless.
That is a lOng time to insert them, but it sounds like a great option. Hopefully if and when you return to using them with regular usage you can insert them a little faster and plus you’ll feel better…a win/win!
Good info…as time passes if I feel I need them, I will go for it!

It does take practice to insert a sclera lens so there is maximum benefit (lots of saline) and no air bubbles which cause irritation.

I was motivated to learn because of the amount of pain I was in.

I had to learn to put in regular contacts correctly and remember a learning curve with that process as well.

Just as a note of caution, I also wear regular glasses over the sclera contacts. They are not cosmetic.

As I said insurance refused to pay for my sclera contacts, but the sclera lens has been a life changer for me.