Diet

I am counting calories to lose weight. I am wondering if I should also be careful of the types of food to eat also. Are there food I should avoid that can cause the stiffness and achiness that I feel in my joints. It is so bad at times that I just don’t like to be touched. I don’t want to go on any stronger medications to help deal with it. I do try to walk a mile couple times a week. I also try hard not to give in to the way I feel and continue with my daily routine which can be difficult at times to do.

You are so in the right place. There are others here that know way more than i do (and can explain it better) but I would say yes, there are lots of adjustments that you can make that will make a difference in pain and stiffness in the joints.

For me it is avoiding sugars and processed foods.I do great with fruits, etc but cakes, snack foods, etc are not happy things anymore. Breads that aren't whole grain aren't good for me either. I had Domino's tonight, which is a very rare occurrence and my hands/fingers are already puffy and stiff. Basically, the lean, well-balanced diet that helps with inflammation may well help a great deal with weight control over all.

Walking is wonderful too. Keeping the body moving is so necessary, the calorie burn is a bonus.

Many say avoiding gluten helps. I think it might. I absolutely believe avoiding sugar, junk foods, processed foods, and alcohol helps. I’m starting diet number 100,000 today, LOl! Going to use my Fitday app on my phone to count calories. I was eating well, but slipped up in the last month or two and I gain weight easily. Sigh. I’m going to eat a lot of veggies, some fruit, minimum animal products, little to no gluten, little to no sugar, no alcohol, little to no fake sugar, lots of water, etc. I just sense this is a healthy diet. I don’t wish to be a vegetarian, but believe most folks eat too many animal products. There are books by Michael Pollan, a food/diet expert that I like. I suspect that our wheat products, like bread are not made like they once were and so sensitive folks like us likely should avoid them. I know sugar is just bad…period. But temptation lurks. I suspect I can’t be perfect in that regard, but I can big time reduce the times I eat sugar and the amounts. I’m doing fairly well, but have moments of stress and forget. My blood pressure has bumped up as well as my weight and my stomach is very upset, so I’m motivated to get back on track. Honestly, I do believe diet can help us with SS and overall, so it’s worth doing our best (I think). Maybe we all should consider a healthy weight loss thread…on going. Good luck Dingy!
PS last nights dinner was a small amount of chicken, a large portion of broccoli, carrots and cauliflower with a tiny amount of organic butter. I got hungry later, and made a small portion of freshly popped popcorn in coconut oil. No bloating and felt good.

I follow an anti-inflammatory diet and it helps me very much with pain. It is much like EnjoyLife suggests. You can Google "anti-inflammatory diet" and print out the pyramid, etc. I also try to stay hydrated by drinking 68 ozs. of water a day. I Googled "Hydration" or something like that and read all about it. Getting as much exercise as I can also helps with pain. This plan does not cause weight gain for me.

Some of the many more experienced people here will likely chime in with their expertise. Sure you will come up with a plan which works for you.

sjogirl said:

I follow an anti-inflammatory diet and it helps me very much with pain. It is much like EnjoyLife suggests. You can Google "anti-inflammatory diet" and print out the pyramid, etc. I also try to stay hydrated by drinking 68 ozs. of water a day. I Googled "Hydration" or something like that and read all about it. Getting as much exercise as I can also helps with pain. This plan does not cause weight gain for me.

Some of the many more experienced people here will likely chime in with their expertise. Sure you will come up with a plan which works for you.

I am new to being diagnosed with Sjorgren's so I am learning the basics of medications and foods. I have found out that, for me, doing away with wheat gluten for the past 3 weeks has taken away the red scaly itchy painful dry skin rash that covered most of my body. I was surprised to find no rash or even dry skin when I went to apply lotion to those areas(back of arms, entire back and hands) that have for the last 5 years or so been a severe problem. I have only been on Plaquinil for about 3 weeks so I cannot attribute my clear skin to that medication as it will be months before it has any effect on me. So, my wife and I can only assume that it is the 'gluten free' diet that we have adopted. We are studying a book titled 'The Immune System Recovery Plan' written by Susan Blum M.D. M.P.H. Dr. Blum is herself an auto immune patient and an adherent to her diet. We just started studying this book but as I have stated I am already benefiting from Dr. Blum's findings. Of course her book gets into organic foods and why we should adjust our diets to an organic one. I am not saying that Dr. Blum's study is the definitive answer to autoimmune disease but it seems to be a pretty good place to start with a diet change.

Hello!

My rheu told me that I could eat anything I want even drink coffee. Try to avoid salty foods though such as potato chips.

Try the unsalted or reduced sodium. There is research lately that a teaspoon of red pepper flakes or even shiracha is

healthy. I know on Dr. Oz a visiting doc said try to keep moving!!! D5 Ribose was also recommended. (I have not tried

this.) There is gentle yoga and accupuncture also.

I know I am likely preaching to the choir, but I am continually amazed how diet can help with health. Shouldn’t be, but I am. I started using My Fitness Pal app and eating 1,000 very healthy calories daily. (I’m short) Moderate protein, no sugar, no bread, no pasta, LOTS of veggies both raw and cooked, moderate fruit, lots of water, no junk food of any kind, no processed foods, no alcohol, a small amount of organic dairy, organic foods in general as much as possible, reduced salt, homemade foods when possible, some nuts almost daily…

My top concern was that my blood pressure was out of control and I had to get it under control ASAP.

A good reading for me was 140/90. I went to the doctor one day and got nervous and it was 180+/120+

And it caused pandemonium.

Within a week my BP dropped to 120/80 after starting the diet

The last few days it has been like 114/78
I’m still on a BP med, but the topic of a second med is off the table. I have lost just shy of six pounds. I’m rarely hungry

I also have more energy.

I’m not really exercising, just taking an occasional walk around the block.

Husband is eating like this too and I swear he looks five to ten years younger in such a short amount of time.

I know I must keep it up. When I get to goal weight, I’m adding more veggies and a lot more fruit.

I just would like to encourage everyone to eat well (I made up my own diet) as it does seem to make a difference.

I am already gluten free because of my Celiac's disease, so I am not sure how gluten effects the joints. Nightshades make my joints hurt. I avoid tomatoes, potatoes, egglplant, and all peppers. Refined sugar also gives me pain. You may want to experiment by maybe removing nightshades for a week or two and see how you feel and then do the same for sugar to see if it makes a difference.

Dingy…please post an update. For the most part, I went gluten free because there is much evidence that it helps folks with autoimmune problems. AND a cardiologist told me he believed it would lower my blood pressure. I did not want to take a second medication for that, so I went gluten free and also did everything else I could think of for better health, including trying to get my weight down, etc.

There is much discussion about sugar being problematic for joints, etc. I know my SS is a little better since doing all these things

I too have heard some people have issues with nightshades…like peppers. Something else to consider, for sure.

I do hope you’ll send an update…wishing you well.

I eat lots of cherries in season, lots of green leafy greens, chicken, bananas, anything with potassium and stay away from white breads, starch, candy. I have a high fiber tortilla that I use for my egg mushroom omelets in the morning filled with veggies. Do a search for low inflammation foods. Yes, I walk too!