CELLULITIS...? Are SS patients more prone to this than most people?

Thanks tor accepting me into this group! I have had SS about 10 yr now. I teach school and yesterday I felt the best I had in about a month. I had been in a pretty bad flare from all the stress related to starting school.Then after school we had computer training on new way to do our grades. Half way into the training my right leg began hurting and I felt it and looked at it and it was HOT to touch...burning and tight. I used to have cellulitis several times a yr...but that was a long time ago. My hubby took me to an urgent care and wee didn't get out of there till 8:30. Then to school building and one more hour putting out sub plans. Ran fever most of the night 102...They gave me rocephin shot and 14 days of antibiotics. They did check w ultrsound for Blood clot ...they found swollen infected lymph nodes instead. I was glad it wasn't a clot! What is worrisome this time is that it is lower leg ...big patch close to knee...and one blotch near my pantyline (groin).
Nurse felt like I should be off my feet till at least Monday. Have any of my fellow members had problems with cellulitis?

Great question. I just had major abdominal surgery and by all accounts it went really well. Then the issues with the incision started. It was not healing well because of cellulitis. The surgeons had to reopen sections to drain and heal by secondary intention.
Long intro to ask the same question…is this something that should be addresses with surgeons that there is a higher likelihood of these type of issues arising.

iabarbosa said:

Great question. I just had major abdominal surgery and by all accounts it went really well. Then the issues with the incision started. It was not healing well because of cellulitis. The surgeons had to reopen sections to drain and heal by secondary intention.
Long intro to ask the same question...is this something that should be addresses with surgeons that there is a higher likelihood of these type of issues arising.

Wow…that must have been scary. Considering our system goes crazy at any little thing I can see it happening. I don't know about cellulitis itself but as far as surgeries go, Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation has a page on its site with checklists specifically for surgery. It has lists for surgeon, anesthesiologist, and aftercare nurses. It may be worth it to take a look as it explains some of the concerns for us.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cellulitis/basics/definition/con-20023471

http://www.sjogrens.org/home/about-sjogrens-syndrome/living-with-sjogrens/surgery-tips

Hi Irene,

I posted a link to define cellulitis for the members and also added the link to the pre-surgery advice from the Sjogren's Foundation.

So sorry you have this to deal with while trying to teach! How can you possibly do that and stay off your feet? Hope you can work it out! Your kids are lucky to have you, but you must take care of yourself too!

Hope this can be handled thoroughly, and you can get back to the best health possible!

SK