Breastfeeding and Sjogren's

I'm curious. . . This just came up in a La Leche League facebook group that I'm part of. I was diagnosed with Sjogren's after the birth of both of my children. But there was a situation described regarding a mom with Sjogren's and complete lack of milk supply. I wanted to know if anyone here had already been diagnosed with Sjogren's before having children, and how breastfeeding went. If you don't want to discuss it in a public forum, feel free to friend me and private message me.

Interesting. The only thing I can think of is that everyone's journey is different.

Hello, I was diagnosed with SS at the same time, I was getting the news I was pregnant for the fourth time, I have four kids so I had three before my ss diagnosed and I don’t think it made a difference with breastfeeding.

That’s good to know that this doesn’t apply to all women with Sjogrens.

Estella said:

Hello, I was diagnosed with SS at the same time, I was getting the news I was pregnant for the fourth time, I have four kids so I had three before my ss diagnosed and I don’t think it made a difference with breastfeeding.

I was diagnosed about a year before having my baby. It seems to be a constant struggle to keep my milk supply up. I feel like I don’t have as much milk as other moms. It is really frustrating and time consuming since I pump about 4 times a day to keep my supply up. It’s also so rewarding to know I am working so hard and giving my baby the good stuff he needs. He is four and a half months old. He was also really tiny at 5 lbs 7 oz when he was born (full term baby). Not sure if a low birth weight comes along with Sjogren’s? He is doing so good now and finally getting chubby. :slight_smile:

I was diagnosed with Primary SS before children. I have 3 boys and a 4th on the way. Despite doing everything you have every heard of to try and breast feed the most I have ever produced is 2ml at a time, and that is primarily Colostrum. I feel the need to feed a baby, and the tingle people speak of with an urgency to have to hand express even but then… no volume. My boys were born via emergency c-sections at 31, 36 and 36 weeks. Maybe with a full term baby I would produce? Who knows. I chalked it up to sjogrens syndrome as I am not small chested but was told by a lactation professional that I and I quote “had the leaves but not the branches.” I am less anxious about using formula this time but hopeful that I can give baby what ever I am able to make.
Felicity

That’s really interesting. Thank you for sharing

Whatever you can do in terms of breastfeeding is enough. Even if it’s “just” colostrum.