Are there any particular foods difficult for you to swallow?

I LOVE cake, especially chocolate cake with chocolate icing, but no matter how moist, I have to be careful of choking. Sometimes rice and bread are tricky to swallow too.

Anyone else struggle with certain foods?

Strangely enough…I have trouble with the store-bought chow main noodles. I have to be very slow and deliberate with those. I'm not sure my issue is with any particular food so much as the consistency. Not doing anything for weight loss LOL but I embrace the habit of eating slowly, etc.

Having trouble swallowing cookies. We went hiking in some mountains near us (10,000 ft. plus) so my throat was a little dry and despite lot's of water I still choked. A little embarrassing.

Cornbread. Can't drink enough when I eat it that it doesn't choke me.

Carrots are very difficult for me, sometimes cake and cookies are also difficult.

I have difficulty with rice and bread, or muffins, even yogurt if I eat it too fast. Awful feeling and I never really associated with Sjogrens

Rice is the worst next bread

Yes, I also have difficulty swallowing cake with or without icing,cookies, rice, bread,, baked potatoes, french fries, crackers,etc. When I do eat a cookie, piece of cake because I just really need to eat it,I break off pieces & dip in unsweetened almond milk which I eventually drink at the end. I find that if toast a thin slice of rye bread so that it will be slightly crunchy, spread a bit of unsalted butter & my favorite jam, I am able to enjoy it with my egg white omelette.

To make omelette tastier, I saute onion, green & red pepper & sprinkle lightly with cheddar, Parmesan or Romano cheese.You could also add mushrooms, chopped bacon or ham to change it up a bit.

Allow me to begin with the foods i can eat effortlessly.....ice cream, watermelon, any melon, most fruits, yogurt, oatmeal with lots of milk, eggs scrambled with water, that's really about all unless i have large quantities of water, milk etc. to wash it down after prolonged mastication while adding liquids. I can eat thin spaghetti with lots of water and olive oil added......but I tend to pass on anything offered to me unless I have water available and someone has assured me that it is NOT spicy....I can never eat crackers, chips etc.....they all turn to powder or just gobs of flour mass....which cause me to choke....not good.

bagels, crackers, cookies, rice, biscotti (love it but OH NO!!)

Pretzels, crackers, my peanut butter on toast in the morning (my favorite breakfast). I must take a sip with every bite I take or I do fear choking. Never realized just how necessary saliva is, until you don't have it.

I have a hard time with some pills now. Especially if they are not coated.

mcspires said:

I have a hard time with some pills now. Especially if they are not coated. Yes, they always want me to take Potassium pills which are ENORMOUS and uncoated. And I refuse to take the IV version which is called a "K-Rider" because it;s like pure acid through your veins...my veins are in very very poor shape...I always instead ask them to grind the pilll and put it in applesauce..;;just like a lttle old lady would. And its much much better.

So what is to become of us? I'm very concerned. Can we go on like this?

Lately I'm feeling old and dried up.

I will keep the applesauce in mind!

Qadosh2him said:

mcspires said:

I have a hard time with some pills now. Especially if they are not coated. Yes, they always want me to take Potassium pills which are ENORMOUS and uncoated. And I refuse to take the IV version which is called a "K-Rider" because it;s like pure acid through your veins...my veins are in very very poor shape...I always instead ask them to grind the pilll and put it in applesauce..;;just like a lttle old lady would. And its much much better.

I wonder the same thing. This morning I found out I have Shingles. I have Sjogren's and Trigeminal Neuralgia, and I just wish I could have the energy to fight all this junk!

Connie said:

So what is to become of us? I'm very concerned. Can we go on like this?

Lately I'm feeling old and dried up.

Mcspires, I’m so sorry that you have to deal with shingles too! Hang in there, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

What is to become of us……as I was reading these, one after the other I was saying to myself "oh yeah, that too" and "I'm glad others get what happens to me" but then I had the same thought as Connie. It gets scary and what happens if/when it gets worse? Much as SS and AI take its own path for each of us, this seems to be something we all truly share.

I do have to say, I have the same problem with crackers now. LOL. All you can do is poke fun at it.

Thanks TL !

TL said:

Mcspires, I'm so sorry that you have to deal with shingles too! Hang in there, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

"Enjoy Life" is correct. Nice to know you are not alone with the symtoms, but what is the outcome to be. I imagine myself in the coming years, an old lady, bald, cause I have now lost all my hair, toothless, as this SS is doing a job on my choppers, skin flaking off, as my skin is so dry, with a wad of gum in my mouth, and a large economy size bottle of water attached to my wheelchair, as I am now depleted of all saliva.

on that note..................enjoy your day!

Seriously, good thoughts to all.