Antibioctics with Sjogrens

Has anyone taken antibotics with Sjogrens and somewhat start feeling better and have saliva then when antibotics start wearing off feel crappy again.

Hi John,

It's not something I've noticed before. Heat and a/c seem to be the most noticeable difference to me, though most of the time, there is no rhyme or reason!

Wishing you well,

SK

Not really. But, although I can’t recall which one right now, one antibiotic has an unusual anti inflammatory effect. I wish I could recall which one.

I've had barrels of antibiotics for the bronchiectasis, interstitial lung disease (adult cystic firbrosis), caused by the Sjogrens. None made my actual symptoms go away.

No.

In fact, I've had problems with antibiotics. I tend to get thrush, a fungal infection of the throat, mouth, and/or lips. You get white stuff that you can scrap off, but it tends to hurt. The skin under the white is red and a bit tender. When it gets bad even swallowing liquid hurts and eating food isn't an option.

I'm not as quick to take antibiotics as I once was.

Josh

Worst thrush I ever has was the three months of Methotrexate, and I take good probiotics daily!

If only, the only thing that really helps my mouth is Bioten gum and it cost $1.00 on ebay! Takes 4 hours to get the mouth in a somewhat acceptable condition...what a drag.

Mimi

I take a good Probiotic daily, but when I’m on an antibiotic, I ALSO take an additional Acidophillis (sp?) tablet. I buy mine from Whole Foods and it is a brand that you keep in the refrigerator. I take this extra tablet for the duration of the antibiotic plus a few days afterward. I was told that this specific probiotic is the most important re: fighting/preventing thrush. This seems to be helping me halt yeast issues.

I’m finding more and more that it is good for me to chew gum perhaps three times a day for about 15 mins. Each time. I like Spry Brand with Xylitol in it. And another “regular” sugarless one with a light spearmint taste. It seems to help with the saliva production. I also like the Rain mouth spray that Kaz mentioned.

what probiotic do you take (from Whole Foods also?)..thanks for the imput...cottton mouth is ugh!!!

Nomad said:

I take a good Probiotic daily, but when I'm on an antibiotic, I ALSO take an additional Acidophillis (sp?) tablet. I buy mine from Whole Foods and it is a brand that you keep in the refrigerator. I take this extra tablet for the duration of the antibiotic plus a few days afterward. I was told that this specific probiotic is the most important re: fighting/preventing thrush. This seems to be helping me halt yeast issues.

I'm finding more and more that it is good for me to chew gum perhaps three times a day for about 15 mins. Each time. I like Spry Brand with Xylitol in it. And another "regular" sugarless one with a light spearmint taste. It seems to help with the saliva production. I also like the Rain mouth spray that Kaz mentioned.

I take a tablet of Country Life Dairy Free Acidophilis in addition to my other regular probiotic when I’m on an antibiotic. If I have any even remotely slight symptoms of a yeast problem when taking the antibiotic, I take more…like two tablets twice a day. This is not my usual probiotic. Someone I know who has to take a lot of antibiotics often does this and it has worked well for her in preventing yeast issues. I’m doing it now and so far it has been helpful. Oh…do not take it at the same time as your antibiotic. Wait several hours between the two. This is important!!!

Actually, I have found an interesting phenomenon, before getting my flu vaccine at the beginning of the flu season, I would get a bad cold or the flu and my SS symptoms would improve, this happened every time I got a cold or the flu! I never had the need for antibiotics (and find doctors like to prescribe them much too easily), so the conclusion my husband, daughter and I have come to is, the autoimmune system has a real enemy to fight so it stops attacking our bodies!! Makes sense right?! So who is looking into this? Research anyone?! Anyone?

I know Goddess, the research is always so poor. I am on the CMT site as a mod, and they don't even have treatment. I asked how long it took for a dx, got 2 responses, 45 years and 67 years! I cried! Where IS the research? I guess until a movie star, sports hero, or rock god gets something, we just wait!

When I take massive doses of antibiotics, I always get mild to severe yeast infection in my mouth, even with the probiotics and yogurt. So I ask the doctor for something for the yeast, nystatin, etc. It helps with the burning and soreness.

You got to hold on.

John…I remembered something that pertains to your question very well. One time I was on Doxycycoline. (misspelled). This antibiotic has a slight anti-inflammatory property to it. I did feel better overall while on this medication.

My Dentist seems to know a good bit about SS in addition to requiring me to wear dental trays with fluoride at night. He's been a great help with my thrush issues.

I didn't have thrush at the time I told him about my issues with it. But he asked me to start gargling with Chlorhexidine Gluconate oral rinse 0.12% every morning. Only in the morning and then you need to drink some water, because it can dry out your mouth some. I know that sounds bad in our world. Honestly, I wasn't sure if it was really doing any thing for me.

But, my lips have been feeling weird for about a month. I was convinced it was thrush. But the strange thing was I never had more than a few pin size dots in my mouth. Normally, those spots would turn into a full out break in less than a day. I saw my dentist last Mon. and told him what I was experiencing. He agreed and gave me Nystatin 100,000 unit/GM cream. I'm supposed to use it for 2 weeks, but my lips were feeling pretty much normal in just 2 days! You only need a very small amount. So this tube will last me a good long time.

Josh

joshed,

Do you take probiotics of any kind, they will help the thrush!

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/probiotics-for-oral-thrush/